Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Origin of Asimov's three robot laws & of "I, Robot" movie

'Isaac had told me that “his” Three Laws of Robotics were actually given to him by John Campbell — Isaac had just tinkered with the wording. But when the movie people actually made a film called I, Robot, the story that was filmed had nothing to do with Isaac’s actual stories but was something written and published by another writer, and all they used of Isaac’s work was the title and the Three Laws. Neither of which had been his.'
- Frederik Pohl.

Asimov himself has something to say, in one of the anthologies he coedited, on the title of his book I, Robot when introducing Eando Binder's earlier story of the same name (download comic book adaptation of Binder's story; I think its text is online too, but I don't have the link handy).

Lawrence Watt Evans adds a correction to movie part: "The movie did use some of Dr. Asimov’s character names, in very roughly similar roles to those he’d given them."

I haven't personally seen the movie.

0 comments: