Monday, September 16, 2013

Bud Sparhawk's "The Snack" (short story, humor): App assisted healthy living

I found it easy to relate to because I'm in a similar quandary: years of attempts at shedding weight got me nowhere. An app based approach - food & exercise tracking using Simple Calorie Count on Android phone - seems to be working now, but is far from satisfactory - healthy meals aren't as satisfying when body is used to junk food & it seems to be working rather slowly - I've lost just 3 kg in may be 4 months.

Story summary.

A man, to impress his girlfriend, is pretending to be a health freak & has all sorts of apps watching him all the time in a world where network connected sensors are everywhere - bathroom tiles measure your weight, your underwear measures your waist, ...

I found the story sometimes quite funny.

Fact sheet.

First published: Analog, March 2013.
Rating: A.
Related: Stories of Bud Sparhawk.

0 comments: