David Hartwell and Kathryn Cramer (Ed)'s "Year's Best SF 9": Volume 9 of annual anthology series, 20 stories
Stories are ordered by quality, best first. Where I have read the story, my rating follows title, in brackets, followed by a very brief summary. Where I have posted a proper review of story, link on title takes you there.
A few of the stories are available free online. Where I am aware of this, I provide a link - either here or on review page. Such entries are prefixed with a "*".
Stories collected were each published during the year 2003.
- * Octavia E Butler's "Amnesty", scifi.com, online.
- Geoff Ryman's "Birth Days"
- Tony Ballantyne's "The Waters of Meribah"
- * Nancy Kress's "Ej-Es". online as MP3 audio.
- Joe Haldeman's "Four Short Novels"
- Charles Stross's "Rogue Farm"
- Angélica Gorodischer's "The Violet's Embryos"
- Michael Swanwick's "Coyote at the End of History"
- John Varley's "In Fading Suns and Dying Moons"
- Gene Wolfe's "Castaway"
- Gregory Benford's "The Hydrogen Wall"
- Ricard de la Casa and Pedro Jorge Romero's "The Day We Went Through the Transition"
- * Cory Doctorow's "Nimby and the Dimension Hoppers". Asimov's. online.
- Robert Reed's "Night of Time"
- Kage Baker's "A Night on the Barbary Coast"
- Nigel Brown's "Annuity Clinic"
- Allen M Steele's "The Madwoman of Shuttlefield"
- M Rickert's "Bread and Bombs"
- Stephen Baxter's "The Great Game"
- Rick Moody's "The Albertine Notes"