Friday, September 28, 2007

Quotes from Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" (novel)

I collect some quotes from Card's novel, "Ender's Game", here:

  1. "There's only one thing that will make them stop hating you. And that's being so good at what you do that they can't ignore you."
  2. "A small reserve, held back until the end of the game, can be decisive."
  3. "soldiers can sometimes make decisions that are smarter than the orders they've been given."
  4. "commanders have just as much authority as you let them have. The more you obey them, the more power they have over you."
  5. "he could always see what other people hated most about themselves, and bully them, while Val could always see what other people liked best about themselves, and flatter them."
  6. "I'll tell you how to get a toon. Prove to me you know what you're doing as a soldier. Prove to me you know how to use other soldiers. And then prove to me that somebody's willing to follow you into battle."
  7. "Most armies practiced mass maneuvers, preformed strategies. Ender had none. Instead he trained his toon leaders to use their small units effectively in achieving limited goals. Unsupported, alone, on their own initiative."
  8. "Ender liked having the announcement of the extra fifteen minutes come from the toon leaders. Let the boys learn that leniency comes from their toon leaders, and harshness from their commander - it will bind them better in the small, tight knots of this fabric."
  9. "Win first, ask questions later."
  10. "The only way to end things completely was to hurt Bonzo enough that his fear was stronger than his hate."
  11. "the power to cause pain is the only power that matters, the power to kill and destroy, because if you can't kill then you are always subject to those who can, and nothing and no one will ever save you."
  12. "They have influence, but no power." "In my experience, influence is power."
  13. "Real respect takes longer than official respect."
  14. "Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be."
  15. "I've been through a lot of fights in my life, ... Every time, I've won because I could understand the way my enemy thought. From what they did. I could tell what they thought I was doing, how they wanted the battle to take shape. And I played off of that. I'm very good at that. Understanding how other people think."
  16. "power will always end up with the sort of people who crave it".
  17. "Human beings didn't evolve brains in order to lie around on lakes. Killing is the first thing we learned. And a good thing we did, or we'd be dead, and the tigers would own the earth."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Win first, ask questions later." i from what page?

Anonymous said...

Sorry dear - I've no patience to go back & look it up in the book now.

If I recall correctly, it was probably sometime during the period when Ender's training sessions were getting impossible.