Rich Horton (Ed)'s "Unplugged: The Best of Online Fiction" (anthology): Annotated table of contents & review
Rich Horton has posted the ToC his new anthology - "Unplugged: The Best of Online Fiction", for launch sometime in 2009 & covering fiction first published during 2008. From Wyrm Publishing (aren't they the folks who bring out Clarkesworld magazine?)
Note it's not all free fiction; some of it is from for-pay online publishers. I include download links below only for stories that have free access.
I haven't read many; might read a few & fill up descriptions later. Link on author name yields more works by author; link on publisher name yields more works from publisher. If I've a separate post on a story, link on story title goes there.
Table of contents (14 stories, best first, unread last).
- Catherynne M Valente's "A Buyer's Guide to Maps of Antarctica" (A); download; Clarkesworld, May 2008: Life stories of 2 of the early explorers of Antarctica. Added to my best of the year 2008 list.
- Beth Bernobich's "Air and Angels"; download; Subterranean, Spring 2008: Not read.
- Mercurio D Rivera's "Snatch Me Another"; download; Abyss and Apex, First Quarter 2008: Not read.
- Nancy Kress' "First Rites"; Jim Baen's Universe, #15 (October 2008): Not read.
- Tina Connolly's "The Bitrunners"; download; Helix, Summer 2008: Not read. Something about Mars, going by its first sentence.
- Rebecce Epstein's "When We Were Stardust"; download; Fantasy Magazine, 18 February 2008: Not read.
- Jason Stoddard's "Willpower"; download; Futurismic, 1 December 2008: Not read.
- Peter S Beagle's "The Tale of Junko and Sayuri"; InterGalactic Medicine Show, July 2008: Not read. Note Horton's post has a small spelling mistake in title - "Sayiri" rather than "Sayuri".
- David Dumitru's "Little Moon, Too, Goes Round"; Aeon Magazine, #13 (February 2008): Not read.
- Hal Duncan's "The Behold of the Eye"; download; Lone Star Stories, #28 (August 2008): Not read.
- Will McIntosh's "Linkworlds"; download part 1 & part 2: as a 2-part serial in Strange Horizons, 17 & 24 March 2008: Not read. Supposed to be something about parallel universes.
- Merrie Haskell's "The Girl-Prince"; download; Coyote Wild Magazine, August 2008: Not read.
- Brendan DuBois' "Not Enough Stars in the Night"; download; Cosmos magazine, 9 May 2008: Not read.
- Cory Doctorow's "The Things that Make Me Weak and Strange Get Engineered Away"; download; Tor, 7 August 2008: I have a feeling I've read it - it was amongst the first stories published by Tor when they opened the new site. But I cannot recollect anything.
Fact sheet.First published: To be published sometime in 2009.
- My best of the year 2008 selections (some online).
- Rich Horton (Ed)'s "Science Fiction: The Best of the Year, 2009 Edition": Stories first published during 2008, both online & offline publishers included. 2010 edition.
- Jonathan Strahan (Ed)'s "Best SF and Fantasy of the Year, Volume 3": Stories first published during 2008.
- "Best new stories of 2008" thread at Asimov's Forum.
- Collections & anthologies.
- "Best of" lists.