At The Nebula Awards: "New Nebula Rules".
Effective next cycle - i.e., Nebula Awards 2009, due 2010. Current cycle is unaffected. Some highlights:
- "The Nebula Awards year shall begin on January 1 and end on December 31 of the year for which awards will be presented." But with some special rules to handle second half 2008 publications during the transition year (next year).
Cool - so at least they become somewhat interesting even with currently lazy quality control.
- "At the author’s request, a novella-length work published individually, rather than as a part of a collection, anthology, or other collective work, shall appear in the novel category."
- "Works first published in English on the Internet or in electronic form during the calendar year shall be treated as though published in the United States." I.e., they become admissible.
I'm not really sure what this means. Will a story published at an online site owned by a British company become eligible?
- "Works are eligible whether or not their authors are members of SFWA. Works are eligible whether or not they have been previously published outside of the United States."
- "The official NOMINATION PERIOD will open on November 15th and continue until February 15th."
- "The FINAL BALLOT shall be comprised of the top six works in each category which receive the most nominations." With rules to handle exceptions.
- "The FINAL BALLOT shall be made available for viewing no later than February 20th."