I have conflicting feelings about it:
- Action packed enough that I finished it within 2 days - among the fastest for me for English novels.
- Large parts of it feel too juvenile - better suited to someone in early teens.
- Parts of it raise important philosophical issues that makes those parts very much normal adult reading.
Story summary.A human colony world, Pyrrus, is suffering a major 3 way conflict:
- An extreme form of urban/rural divide. While both need each other, neither can stand the sight of the other.
- A local semi-sentient life vs urban human settlers divide that makes the city extremely hostile to human settlers.
Fact sheet.First published: As a 3 part serial in Astounding, January/February/March 1960.
Download full text from Project Gutenberg, Manybooks, or Feedbooks.
Download audio read by Gregg Margarite for LibriVox from LibriVox or Internet Archive.
Nominated for Hugo Award 1961 in novel category.
Listed among the stories from John Campbell's Astounding/Analog.
There have been several sequels to it - including two novels & some stories not available in English, some of them in collaboration with other authors. I haven't read any of the sequels.
Related: Stories of Harry Harrison.