Jonathan Strahan (Ed)'s "The Best of Larry Niven" (collection): Annotated table of contents & review
ToC of this yet to be published book is available at Subterranean.
At least 3 of the stories are online: "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" (download), "Cloak of Anarchy" (download), & "Smut Talk" (download), none particularly good,. First one can be very inaccessible to those not into Hollywood movies.
An aside: Heinlein's "Coventry" is a far more interesting treatment of "an experiment in anarchy on a small scale" than "Cloak of Anarchy".
Among those I've read, "The Jigsaw Man" is probably the best. "The Hole Man" is very famous, but appreciating it can take a while after reading it! "The Borderland of Sol", I think, is highly overrated though well known because of Hugo award it got; I've a feeling I've seen it online, but cannot find the URL right now.
I can name at least one story that does belong to any "best of Niven" list but isn't here: "Plaything".
Table of contents (27 stories, best first, unread last).My rating is in brackets. Where I've a separate post on a story, link on title goes there. Where I'm aware of an online copy, download link is provided too.
- "The Jigsaw Man" (A); 1967: Chilling implications of human organ transplant technology. Nominated for Hugo Award 1968 in short story category.
- "The Hole Man" (B); Analog, January 1974: Poking your nose at certain places can be harmful!
- "Becalmed in Hell" (B); F&SF, July 1965: An accident on Venus.
- "Cloak of Anarchy" (B); download Analog, Mar 1972: An experiment in an anarchy-based society where there is no government.
- "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" (B); download; Knight, December 1969: Superman's sex problems!
- "Smut Talk" (C); Playboy (US), January 2000: Sentient parasitic bacteria of alien origin.
- "The Borderland of Sol" (C); Analog, Jan 1975: Space pirates are robbing commercial traffic on busy interstellar routes with a novel weapon. Our heroes are out to hunt them down.
- "Bordered in Black"
- "Neutron Star"
- "The Soft Weapon"
- "The Deadlier Weapon"
- "All the Myriad Ways"
- "Not Long Before the End"
- "Inconstant Moon"
- "The Fourth Profession"
- "Flash Crowd"
- "The Defenceless Dead"
- "The Flight of the Horse"
- "Night On Mispec Moor"
- "The Magic Goes Away"
- "Cautionary Tales"
- "A Teardrop Falls"
- "The Return of William Proxmire"
- "The Missing Mass"
Note: I normally update list posts like this when I read a story, find online link, etc. This post was last updated on 8 March 2010.