Donald A Wollheim (ed)'s "The Best from the Rest of the World: European Science Fiction" (anthology): Annotated table of contents & review
Actually, I didn't find the editor's introduction very encouraging - he seemed to be effectively saying that Western European sf is mostly a copy of English one, except for French & pre-war German flavors. But since I have it, I'm going to give it a try.
None of the authors here are familiar to me.
My rating for read stories appears in brackets. Where I have a separate post on a story, link on story title goes there.
PS: If you are familiar with the works of some of the authors & have fond memories of some stories, please share in comments. I would be particularly interested in any works that might be available in English translation - especially online, but a book form collection will also do. And would you have chosen a different work of an author, or a different author from a country, for representation here? Thank you.
Table of contents (best first, unread last).
- [ss, Holland] Manuel van Loggem's "Pairpuppets" (A); Luitingh SF Verhalen, #6 (1974) (as "Paarpoppen"): Speculating on the future of love & sex...
- [ss, Norway] Jon Bing's "A Whiter Shade of Pale" (B); first published in this English translation by Steven T Murray: When men refused to see colors!
- [ss, France] Pierre Barbet's "A Problem in Bionics" (trans Stanley Hochman) (B); Horizons du Fantastique, sometime in 1974. : Catching an intellectual property thief...
- [novelette, France] Gerard Klein's "Party Line": Not read.
- [ss, Italy] Sandro Sandrelli's "The Scythe": Not read.
- [ss, Germany] Herbert W Franke's "Paradise 3000": Not read.
- [novelette, Belgium] Eddy C Bertin's "My Eyes, They Burn!": Not read.
- [novella, Germany] Wolfgang Jeschke's "The King & the Dollmaker": Not read.
- [ss, Norway] Tor Age Bringsvaerd's "Codemus": Not read.
- [ss, Italy] Luigi Cozzi's "Rainy Day Revolution No 39": Not read.
- [ss, Sweden] Sam Lundwall's "Nobody Here But Us Shadows": Not read.
- [novelette, Spain] Domingo Santos's "Round & Round & Round Again": Not read.
- [ss, Denmark] Niels E Nielsen's "Planet for Sale": Not read.
- [ss, France] Charles Henneberg & Nathalie Henneberg's "Ysolde" (as by Nathalie-Charles Henneberg): Not read.
Fact sheet.First published: 1976.
Related: Works of Donald A Wollheim.