Caution: Both stories I finished involve homosexual love. Was that the flavor of the season?
List below is in order of my preference, best first, unread last. Where I have a separate post on a story, link on story title goes there.
- Thomas Olde Heuvelt's "The Boy Who Cast No Shadow" (B); download: This
is actually a several years old Dutch story, probably translated to
English last year - hence eligible.
Two teenage boys, bullied by their peers because they're "different", try coming to terms with their differences...
- Seanan McGuire's "In Sea-Salt Tears" (B); download; fantasy: One of the many clans of Faeries living (among humans?) on US west coast is living a life of punishment for past hunting sins. This is a coming of age story of a girl from this clan.
- Catherynne M Valente's "Fade To White": download text/audio; Clarkesworld, August 2012: It comprises of many vignette sized & independent sections. I gave up after may be 3 or 4 of them; just could not get into the story. Apparently describing a media-driven society.
- Seanan McGuire's "Rat-Catcher"; Yanni Kuznia (ed)'s "A Fantasy Medley 2": Not read.
- [winner] Pat Cadigan's "The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi"; Jonathan Strahan (ed)'s "Edge of Infinity": Not read.