"Analog Science Fiction and Fact", March 2013 (ed Stanley Schmidt) (magazine): Annotated table of contents & review
Links on author fetch more works of author. For read stories, my rating appears in brackets. Where I have a separate post on a story, link on story title goes there.
Table of contents (best first).
- [ss] Harry Turtledove's "It's the End of the World As We Know It, And we Feel Fine" (A): Dog is to man as man is to...
- [ss] Bud Sparhawk's "The Snack" (A); humor: App assisted healthy living...
- [ss] Don D'Ammassa's "Pre-Pirates" (A); satire: Who's the loser &
who's the winner if a preview of a work of fiction becomes available at a
website ("prepubs.com") before the author has written it? Who owns rights to it?
Old well hashed idea of simple casualty violation dating back to at least Asimov, but still quite a readable piece.
- [novelette] Sean McMullen's "The Firewall & the Door" (B): Making a reluctant humanity go star exploring...
- [novelette] Bond Elam's "Instinctive Response" (B): Two human superhero
space scouts find a world with local aliens dying of an incurable
disease. They'll help find a cure, & in the process learn something
about human origins...
Very classic style story with a lot of technobabble about DNA & cell dynamics. Cannot say I liked the story, but it was a fast easy read.
- [ss] Andrew Barton's "The Paragaon of the Animals" (B): On an alien world, a human women is working towards saving local low-tech sentients from human slavery.
- [novelette] Marissa Lingen's "The Radioactive Etiquette Book" (B): A diplomat needs to deal with aliens with vary different value systems...
- [ss] Barry Malzberg & Bill Pronzini's "High Concept" (B): "Harmless" & helpful aliens have arrived on earth, & after a few initial protests, people have become used to having them all over. That's when an author has idea for a novel where the plot has savage war involving these aliens. And will pay a heavy price for having thought such a demeaning idea...
Fact sheet.Labeled: "No CXXXIII No 3".
Related: Stories from Analog/Astounding (whole issues only).