"Analog Science Fiction and Fact", September 2013 (ed Trevor Quachri) (magazine): Annotated table of contents & review
Table of contents (best first, unread last).
- [ss] Kenneth Schneyer's "Life of the Author Plus Seventy" (A); humor: Legal implications of human hibernation...
- [novelette] Alec Nevala-Lee's "The Whale God" (B): Using subaudible sounds as a military weapon.
- [ss] Joe Pitkin's "Full Fathom Five" (B): A woman astronaut alone in a
submarine with a local creature at the bottom of the ice covered ocean
of Europa. A creature that is very alien & has very peculiar way
This might have been a ok story but author unnecessarily kills off rest of the crew to create some forced sentimentality.
Some reviewers see symbolism here: alien looks like a giant penis that has emissions at nights, emissions that follow dreams of the woman!
- [ff] Arlan Andrews, Sr's "Wreck Support" (B); humor: An English translation of an ancient Greek scroll, signed by "Alexandros of Macedonia", complaining about a recently discovered but ancient mechanical geared computer he had brought. Alexander had apparently brought it to aid in his invasions, & but it kept throwing up things like "File not found" & "Insufficient memory"!
- [ss] Liz J Andersen's "Creatures from a Blue Lagoon" (B); humor: Adventures of a human veterinary student, in a multi-species space federation, treating an alien "cow".
Easy read but mostly nonsense.
- [novella] Martin L Shoemaker's "Murder on the Aldrin Express": Not read.
- [novelette] Lavie Tithar's "The Oracle": Not read.
Fact sheet.Labeled: "Vol CXXXIII No 9".
Related: Stories from Analog (whole issues only); fiction from 2010s.