Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Recommended stories from Frederik Pohl's Galaxy & If magazines during 1962-1967

adamosf lists some of favorites from Galaxy & If magazines edited by Pohl from the said period at Visions of Paradise.

List includes some very famous stories, & others I'd not even heard of. He doesn't give online links, but I suspect at least some of them have some version online. Try using search button near top of this page - I might've linked a couple of stories from the list sometime. There must be others online that I never linked.

Tastes, however, differ. Of the half dozen odd very well known stories I've read from the list, I can recommend only Heinlein's "Moon is a Harsh Mistress". Others, while usually not bad, won't be on my all time best list - may be because they represent tastes of a different era, or are best read at a certain stage in life, or may be just personal preferences. Stories I've read from the list (besides Heinlein's above): Jack Vance’s “The Moon Moth”, Cordwainer Smith’s “The Ballad of Lost C’Mell”, Harlan Ellison’s “‘Repent, Harlequin’ Said the Ticktockman” & “I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream”.

But I would still like to hunt down the unread ones. Going by his familiar selections, at the very least, remaining ones are likely to be education about the history of science fiction.

0 comments: