Thursday, July 26, 2007

Benjamin Rosenbaum's "The House Beyond Your Sky": Tedious story on religion

This story has too much religion & jargon for my taste. But may appeal to more devout souls - if you can withstand its contrived paths!

Full text of this story is available online.

Story summary.
I wish I could summarize it! This is about a computer simulation, plus Hindu mythology of creation, presented in the style you find towards the end of Gentry Lee & Arthur Clarke's "Rama Revealed" - only it is far more complex. The story is of Creation - where we came from, & a wish to discover who created us.

There was one intriguing point in the story that made me ponder: God as a pattern embedded in one of the hidden dimensions of every particle in the Universe. I have heard the notion that God is to be found in every particle - sentient or not - for as long as I remember, but I have never read a description this concrete!

Fact sheet.
The House Beyond Your Sky, short story, review
Rating: C
First published: Strange Horizons, 4 September 2006
Nominated for Hugo Awards 2007 in short story category

See also.

  1. All Hugo Award stories.
  2. All stories with religion as a theme.

0 comments: