Denvention 3 has posted 2008 Hugo Nomination List. List below ranks those I've already read;
commentary on others will follow in due course. List will get appropriate decorations as their process progresses.
Update 10 August 2008: Winner has been announced.
Hugo award process defines novelette as something between a short story & novella in size - 7.5 to 17.5 thousand words in length, with a margin of 20% at borders.
- [winner] Ted Chiang's "The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate" (A); download a text, as MP3; as a short book by Subterranean Press, July 2007; fantasy: Four time travel folktales - told in the style of (I think) Arabian Nights. Added to my best of the year 2007 list.
- Greg Egan's "Glory" (A); download; Gardner Dozois and Jonathan Strahan (Eds)' "The New Space Opera", HarperCollins/Eos, 2007; science fiction: Two humans of far future have traveled to an alien world in a far away star system to make first contact. Extremely interesting interstellar travel arrangements. Added to my best of the year 2007 list.
- David Moles' "Finisterra" (B); download; F&SF, December 2007; science fiction: Description of a criminal gang on an artificial world.
- Greg Egan's "Dark Integers" (B); download; Asimov's October/November 2007; science fiction: Communicating with & fighting aliens from a parallel universe!
- Daniel Abraham's "The Cambist and Lord Iron: a Fairytale of Economics"; John Klima (Ed)'s "Logorrhea", Bantam: Not read.
- All Hugo Awards 2008 nominees in novella & short story categories.
- 2007 Hugo Award nominees & winner in novelette category.
- All Hugo Awards stories.