Yet another list of "best of" 2008 fiction - in this case, restricted to fiction out of Australia.
To be awarded on 24 January 2009.
Update 24 January 2009: Winner is announced ("The Empire"). [via Science Fiction Awards Watch].
Among the many short fiction categories, there is only one about science fiction, with following nominations:
- Trent Jamieson's "Delivery" (B); download; Cosmos, #21 (June/July 2008); space opera: A generation ship with a human midwife & an AI have raised a prodigal first generation on colonized world.
Includes lot of jargon. And not always logical. Not too bad either.
- [winner] Simon Brown's "The Empire"; Dreaming Again, HarperVoyager: Not read.
- Nathan Burrage's "Black and Bitter, Thanks"; The Workers’ Paradise, Ticonderoga Publications: Not read.
- Margo Lanagan's "The Fifth Star in the Southern Cross"; Dreaming Again, HarperVoyager: Not read.
- Tansy Rayner Roberts' "Fleshy"; 2012, Twelfth Planet Press: Not read.
More "best of 2008" lists.
- Next year's Aurealis Awards.
- My best of the year 2008 selections (some online).
- Jonathan Strahan (Ed)'s "Best SF and Fantasy of the Year, Volume 3": Stories first published during 2008.
- Rich Horton (Ed)'s "Science Fiction: The Best of the Year, 2009 Edition": Stories first published during 2008, both online & offline publishers included.
- Rich Horton (Ed)'s "Unplugged: The Best of Online Fiction": Stories first published online during 2008. By both by free fiction publishers & paid ones.
- "Best new stories of 2008" thread at Asimov's Forum.
- "Best of" lists.