A E van Vogt's "The Mixed Men" aka "Mission to the Stars" (collection, space opera): Annotated table of contents & review
I've only read the online stories from this collection - 3 of the 5. Nowhere near the best of van Vogt, but readable. My rating is in brackets. In case I have a separate post on a specific story, link on title goes there.
Stories should generally be read in order; later stories assume the reader is familiar with events in earlier ones.
Table of contents.
- [ss] "Concealment" (B); download; Astounding, September 1943: An exploration battleship of Imperial Earth has located an unexpected civilization of "Dellian perfect robots" in Lesser Magellanic Cloud, bringing to fore the ancient mutual hatred of the two species.
- [novelette] "The Storm" (B); download; Astounding, October 1943: Long drawn human/robot wars now show promise to end amicably.
- [novelette] "The Mixed Men" (B); download; Astounding, January 1945: Of the 3 species of robots in Fifty Suns - Dellian, non-Dellian, & "Mixed Men" - Mixed Men are the least numerous & most competent; they've now declared a war on humanity.
We'll eventually learn that non-Dellians aren't robots at all but humans, that humans & robots can interbreed(!) to produce "Mixed Men" children - so the future appears to be the next evolution of both humans & robots - the "Mixed Men".
- [novelette] "Lost: Fifty Suns"; original appearance was probably in this collection: Not read.
- "Is it true?": Looks like it appeared only in a few editions.
Fact sheet.First published: 1952.
Credits: Some of the information here comes from Wikipedia & ISFDB.
A lot of covers of various editions of this book are available at The Weird Worlds of A E Van Vogt.
Relevant entries have been added to the list of stories from John Campbell's Astounding/Analog.
Related: Stories of A E van Vogt.