Canadian Science Fiction & Fantasy Awards 2009 ("Prix Aurora Awards"): English short fiction winner & nominees
This is a couple of days old. I've not been finding time to post.
Canadian Science Fiction & Fantasy Association has announced nominees for "2009 Prix Aurora Awards" (why do they use 2 names for the award interchangeably?)
Caution: This is a non-persistent URL, & will likely show something else at a later date.
Update 11 August 2009: Winners announced.
Admissible fiction was originally published during 2008 by Canadian authors.
English short fiction nominees (21 stories, best first, unread last).
- Peter Atwood's "All In" (C); download only the story, or whole Weird Tales magazine issue containing it; Weird Tales magazine, May-June 2008: I didn't quite get it.
A dying man is playing poker at some gambling joint; with this win he buys something. I didn't quite catch what - a boxful of solid carbon dioxide, & some human body parts like individual fingers removed from someone's body, are involved. Somehow, after this trade, he will get some short term respite at hospital.
- Susan J Forest's "Back"; Analog, June 2008: Not read.
- [winner] Randy McCharles' "Ringing in the Changes in Okotoks Alberta"; Tesseracts Twelve, Edge Science Fiction: Not read.
- Douglas Smith's "A Bouquet of Flowers in a Vase by Van Gogh"; Douglas Smith's "Impossibilia" (collection), PS Publishing: Not read.
- Douglas Smith's "Doorways"; Postscripts, #17: Not read.
- Other awards choosing "best of 2008" fiction: Hugo Awards 2009 (short stories, novelettes, novellas, novels); Nebula Awards 2008 (US) (short stories, novelettes, novellas); BSFA Awards 2008 (UK); Aurealis Awards 2008 (Australia); Prix Aurora 2009 (Canada).
- My "best of 2008" picks (includes links to more "best of 2008" lists, including various anthologies that collect last year's fiction).
- Hugo award fiction (includes past winners & nominees).
- "Best of" lists.