"Astounding Science-Fiction", January 1942 (ed John W Campbell, Jr) (magazine, free): Annotated table of contents
Scans of this magazine in CBR format are online as part of a larger package.
Table of contents (6 stories, best first, unread last).My rating is in brackets. Where I have a separate post on a story, link on story title goes there. Link on author fetches more fiction by author.
- [novelette] Eric Frank Russell's "Mechanistria" (B): Adventure on planet Mechanistria, a world ruled by very hostile robots.
Collected in author's "Men, Martians and Machines".
- [novelette] Jack Williamson's "Breakdown": "A city is an instrument - built, albeit unconsciously, for a purpose. When that purpose dies - the city dies!"
- [novelette] L Ron Hubbard's "The Invaders": "The Post Commander was proud of his station - of its importance - of his importance. The technician sent to aid him made a discovery -"
- [ss] Kolin Keith's "Soup King": "The cook fell in the soup; the crew fell in a gold mine. But the crew was broke & the cook a millionaire. Which was logical, on Venus!"
- [ss] Normab L Knight's "Fugitive from Vangard": "He came to an ultramodern world with cloths a thousand years out of date, & no memory of where or when - or even whether! - he had been born!"
- [serial - part 3/4] E E "doc" Smith's "Second Stage Lensmen": "Kimball Kinnison starts a new line of attack - as an officer in the Royal Guard of the zwilnik overlord!"